Why should I hire a traffic attorney?

A: Anytime you get a traffic ticket in the state of Missouri, you are faced with three options:

1) Pay the ticket (which is the same as pleading guilty) and take the points on your license. Depending on the ticket you received, this can be anywhere from two to twelve points. No matter how few points it is, it will have a negative impact on your insurance rates, and it can also result in your driver license being suspended or revoked if you have accumulated enough points on your record. If you're not sure how many points you currently have on your record, you can call the Driver's License Bureau at (573) 751-4475. They can tell you how many points you have now, and how many more you will get if you plead guilty on any ticket you have recently received.

2) Fight the ticket by taking it to trial. If this is something you choose to do, you can proceed pro se (which means without an attorney to represent you) or you can hire an attorney to handle the trial for you. Typically, attorney fees for taking a ticket to trial are going to start at about $500. A trial is a much more complicated matter and requires intense preparation. If you decide to proceed pro se, you will have to appear on your first court date and plead not guilty, and then the judge will set the matter on a different date for trial.

3) Hire a traffic ticket attorney to have the charge "amended.  "This is normally the best option for most people. When you do this, you will have an initial attorney fee (ours start at $50, depending on the court, the charges you're facing, and other factors). Once you pay this fee, we will enter with the court on your behalf and ask the prosecuting attorney for a recommendation amending the charge to something that will not result in points on your driving record. Anytime the prosecuting attorney agrees to do this, you will face fines higher than you would if you just pled guilty to the charge, BUT, it will keep the points off of your record and will keep your insurance rates from being affected. Usually, if you choose to go this route, you will never have to step foot in the courtroom.

Can I get points removed from my driving record?

A: The absolute best policy is to avoid getting them there in the first place, by hiring an attorney to amend your ticket rather than just pleading guilty. However, if it's too late for you to go that route, it is sometimes possible to get the points removed through a Motion for a Guilty Plea Withdrawal. If you are faced with a suspension of your license or a high spike in your insurance rates because of points on your record, give our office a call and we can discuss whether you are a good candidate for a guilty plea withdrawal.

 A: If you know which court your ticket was issued through, you can usually call that court to get the ticket number, court date, and charge information.

If you're not sure which court the ticket was through and you missed the court date, resulting in a suspension of your driving record, the Driver's License Bureau will be able to tell you which court the ticket was issued through, the charge information, and your ticket number. You can call them at (573)  751-4475.

If you think the ticket was issued by a state trooper or county sheriff, you may be able to find your ticket information by searching your name on case.net.

Finally, if none of these options work for you, we can arrange to  investigate the matter for you for a small fee. Please contact our office for more information.

What do I do if I lost my traffic ticket?

At what point amount will the Department of Revenue (DOR) suspend my Missouri driver’s license?

Information on the Missouri Point system is available here.

I just got a DWI/DUI/BWI what should I do?

A: The most important thing to do is to contact an attorney right away.  You only have 15 days to appeal the loss of your license. Contact us at Lake Ozark DWI & Traffic Law Center for more information.

I got a ticket for driving without a license, what should I do?

A: If you are able to get a license, your best bet is to do so before  your court date. If you are not able to get your license for some  reason, contact our office to discuss your options.

What if I have an out-of-state license?

A: No matter which state your license is through, points and suspensions in Missouri can have a negative effect on your driving privileges in  your home state. Missouri reports driving points and suspensions to  other states. Do not ignore a Missouri ticket just because you have an  out-of-state license.

What if I receive a ticket in another state?

A: You should contact an attorney in the state where you received your  ticket to see if you can have it amended. Any points you receive in  another state will be reported against your Missouri driving record.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.  The Choice Of An Attorney Is An Important One And Should Not Be Based On Advertising Alone.

Copyright © 2016 Lake Ozark DWI & Traffic Law Center - All Rights Reserved


DWI – DUI - BWI - Boating While Intoxicated - Driving while intoxicated, Driving under the influence, Speeding tickets, Traffic tickets - Lake of the Ozarks Missouri, Osage Beach, Camdenton, Miller County Morgan County, Eldon, Lebanon, Sunrise Beach, Laurie, Versailles – Missouri, MO

Call Now

Lake of the Ozarks